Historic Downtown Adventure Trip
Are you a budding or veteran history buff looking for a historic weekend adventure? Visit Meeker and follow our steps for the perfect historical experience!
- Take a walk around the stores, shops and restaurants in our National Historic Downtown District, where many buildings have a story to tell! Have a cup of coffee and a grab a tasty sandwich at the authentic, restored Meeker Drug Store and Soda Fountain and Red Rooster Sandwich Shop.
- Visit the White River Museum, the last curio museum in Colorado that is housed in log buildings built in 1880 for military barracks! See our unique Collection of the Pioneer West, including our famous Two-Headed Calf!
- From there, pick up your map of the self-guided walking tour of the historic buildings across downtown Meeker, and of the famous Meeker Bank Robbery of 1896. Take the Bank Robbery Trail and see the actual bank safe that was robbed, sitting in its original location, then follow the trail past the White River to the Highland Cemetery to see the graves of the robbers and a 360-degree view of the entire White River Valley! Visit the museum for more information and a map!
- Up for a little drive? Travel upriver east of town to see the Milk Creek Battlefield Park or down west of town to see the Battle of Meeker battlefield site that gave Meeker its name and place on the map!
- Relax with dinner at any of our locally owned downtown restaurants, like Outfitters Diner for tasty American classics, Ma Famiglias for great authentic Italian food and the outdoor patio, or at The Mexican House for a big margarita and Mexican favorites.
Stay With Us
- Stay the night with us right next door at the Historic Meeker Hotel, one of the most historic hotels in Colorado, built in 1896. Stay in the very room that once housed President Teddy Roosevelt himself while he visited Meeker to hunt! Or try any of our other family owned hotels listed on our website.
Historic Driving Tour
- Enjoy the Meeker Café for a big breakfast, great food, record breaking animal mounts from hunters in Meeker, and other artifacts full of Meeker history, before your next historic adventure! The Rural School House Tour has 7 driving loops to 37 locations of historic schoolhouses, some locations still house the original building, including the newly restored Coal Creek School House, that now hosts school tours and weddings and events!
Historic Cultural Events
- The Annual Range Call 4th of July Festival is the oldest continuous running rodeo in Colorado. Since 1938, Meeker Colorado has celebrated our western heritage with a Range Call festival. Every 4th of July is celebrated with a parade, rodeos, fireworks, and various activities such as a Bank Robbery Reenactment, Rodeos, Concerts and Barn Dances, and more! For more details and schedule of events visit our Range Call page.
- Summer Rodeo Series runs every Thursday night from June 10th to August 19th. Includes races and events for riders of all ages and is fun for the whole family! Takes place at the County Fairgrounds, come and see a tribute to our classic Western culture.
- Liking the horse theme? Come and see our Meeker Mustang Makeover Event! Trainers from around the country come and choose one of our Picance Creek wild mustangs to tame and train before the main event in August, where each mustang will be auctioned off to their new forever homes.
- The Meeker Classic Sheepdog Championship has been held in September in Meeker for almost 35 years. The purpose of the Classic is to educate, promote and preserve the agricultural heritage of the area, promote the responsible use of working stock dogs, while facilitating humane dog and livestock handling and ownership through sheepdog trials and related activities. The event also includes the Jammin’ Lamb Cookoff Competition, live music, venders, and provides a fund for a scholarship to a graduating senior from Meeker High School each year.
Thank you for choosing Meeker for your history filled weekend!